Legend has it that those who share this dish fall in love. Ok...not really, but that is how our love story began. According to the HUBS, he was enamored when I shared my Tom Yum soup with him the weekend we met almost 6 years ago! It is definitely true that great dishes and homemade recipes can really bring people together. Naturally this soup is one of our favorites, but in truth my love affair with tom yum soup began wayyyy back in the day. I think I first tried it at my best friend's thai restaurant in Nashville. We would go as a family and stock up on hearty, savory oh-so-spicy and vegetarian friendly dishes each weekend. As a family, our standard order ALWAYS started with tom yum soup. The way the lemongrass, kaffir lime & thai chilies danced together in the soup excited our taste buds - it was guaranteed satisfaction. I always loved saving some broth at the end to add to my red curry & rice. So the HUBS and I finally decided to give this dish a shot.
AUTHENTIC THAI, VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE
TOM YUM SOUP RECIPE
INSPIRED BY SABAIDEE
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8)
- 6 c vegetable stock (I used ~ 50 oz of vegetable stock)
- 8 kaffir lime leaves (fresh/frozen)
- 6 two inch slices of galang root
- 6 two inch slices of lemongrass stalk
- 15 oz can sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tsp adu marcha (or minced thai chilies to taste)
- 1 limes (juiced; half added while cooking, half added fresh)
- 1 yellow onion (julienned)
- 1/2 c of fresh coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs tom yum paste
- 1 bunch of green onions (diced on bias)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- tofu (optional)
- In a medium - large pot over medium-low heat, sauté the adu marcha/thai chiles in the oil.
- Add the tom yum paste and sauté.
- Add the sliced onion and lightly sauté.
- Add in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and galang root. Bring to a boil and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until very aromatic.
- Add soy sauce, tomatoes, and green onions. Cook for an additional 3 minutes at a boil.
- Just before serving soup add the fresh lime juice & cilantro. For extra heat, garnish with chili garlic oil (😋).