First, lets state one thing for the record. Yes. The Maldives is as beautiful & picturesque as it looks in those travel mags and suspicious #nofilter posts on insta. Just check out how clear and turquoise that water in the picture above is. Let me just blow your mind a little more. #NOFILTER.
None of the pictures in this post have been digitally altered. And to be quite honest, they are still not nearly as beautiful as the real deal. The Maldives has easily the most beautiful sunsets I've ever witnessed. And usually I'm VERY reluctant to give that title to any other place besides TN. The sand is so soft, the water so clear, and the fruits so delicious. Going here gives star gazing a new meaning, and the air could not be cleaner. Scuba dive, sun bathe and eat your hearts content of fresh fruits. Maybe even take the most memorable jog of your life on the beach and play with little Dorie's in the ocean.
We so loved our trip to the Maldives. Yes it was expensive but it was worth every penny and we were able to save some by combining it with a trip to see our families in India. The Maldives are about a 2 hour flight to Bangalore, India - which is so manageable. Couple things to note:
- 1000 islands make up the Maldives. 200+ resorts
- You will need to schedule a seaplane or boat ride to your individual resort from Male (the capital main island)
- This is definitely not your typical American destination. We didn't meet a single American couple during our stay - mostly Europeans (Germans & English) most of whom were annual visitors.
- The currency depends on the resort. We stayed at Komandoo & Kuredu Islands both of which operate on the US Dollar. Check them out!
- Komandoo is perfection. The kind of meditative-isolated-untouched-beauty-kid-free-zone-stick-your-toes-in-the-water-and-enjoy sort of perfection and has at least 1 staff per guest, with a total of 67 rooms (~150 guests). Kuredu is also quite nice however is intended for families with kids so its a little louder. Both have impeccable service and are smoked daily to eliminate mosquitos. They offer all inclusive packages at varying levels. The water & beach villas are awesome!
- Most resorts offer lots of different excursions that you should definitely explore. We snorkeled, scuba'd and even got to go to a deserted island with just one other couple! And definitely try one of the spas. We had an amazing experience at Duniye Spa! Think massage over the water. Boom.
- You should absolutely snorkel if not scuba. the oceanic wildlife is incredible. If you don't believe me check out our mere iPhone video below!