GF SPAGHETTI SQUASH
I LOVE pasta (almost as much as Oprah loves bread)! But I think I love it too much. So naturally when the HUBS and I saw spaghetti squash at our local farmer's market, we picked some up. Believe me, I am not about to substitute this for actual spaghetti all the time, but I will say that its quite satisfying and pretty inexpensive to make. The key is to cook the squash long enough for it to become tender like a noodle.
GLUTEN FREE SPAGHETTI SQUASH RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2-4)
- 1 spaghetti squash (looks like this)
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4-6 basil leaves (freshly chopped)
- 1/4 c freshly chopped parsley
- homemade pasta sauce or jarred pasta sauce of choice (we love arrabbiata sauce!)
- dry italian herb blend
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds by scraping out with a fork/spoon.
- Drizzle or brush on 1 tbs of olive oil on the exposed part of each half.
- Sprinkle some dry italian herb blend. Prep your baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil and spraying with cooking spray. Bake the squash at 400F for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the squash and let cool.
- In a sauce pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Sauté the garlic.
- Once garlic is golden, add the onion and cook until becomes translucent.
- Add your pasta sauce of choice and bring to a simmer.
- Add the freshly chopped parsley and stir.
- Once the squash has cooled, take a fork and start scraping to create your gluten free "noodles".
- Add you sauce to your noodles, garnish with some freshly chopped basil and serve.