Like most indian moms, my mom specialized in making Indo-anything. In several cases, I wasn't the biggest fan of Indo-Italian food, but this particular dish was something special. Meet spicy spaghetti. Its full of veggie goodness and has tons of Indian inspired Italian flavor. Its my go to when I want to make a more hearty & nutritious pasta.
SPICY SPAGHETTI RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8)
- 2 bell peppers (julienned)
- 1/2 - 1 onion (julienned)
- 2 c of baby spinach
- 1 box of mushrooms (diced)
- 5-6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 box noodles of choice (we like the quinoa GF pasta)
- 1 1/2 jars pasta sauce of choice (I like Arrabiata)
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp dhana jeeru
- 1 1/2 tsp mirchi
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp haldi
- fresh buffalo mozzarella (can sub with reg moz!)
- Begin to boil water for pasta.
- In a separate skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté.
- Sauté the julienned onions until clear.
- Add the bell peppers and cook til pepper smell goes away (3-4 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and cook til smell goes away (3 - 4 minutes).
- Add the spinach and cook til reduced.
- Add the spices and cook for an additional two minutes before setting on lowest heat.
- By now the water is probably ready for the pasta. Add and cook til al dente.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the water and add the pasta in to the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture into a baking safe dish, sprinkle fresh mozzarella, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F.