Pulao is basically cooked rice with veggies and spices in it. There are SO many renditions of this popular dish, but this is my personal favorite - my mom's. Not really sure how we ended up calling it yellow pulao but it probably has to do with my younger self just proclaiming that name. This dish is spicy, savory and soooo just plain old yummy. To put it in perspective the HUBS finished his plate before I could even serve myself!
YELLOW PULAO & CHAASH RECIPE
(VEGGIE BASMATI RICE CASSAROLE & CURRIED BUTTERMILK)
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4-6)
- 1 1/2 cups (uncooked) rice
- 1 c frozen peas
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- 10 - 14 curry leaves
- pinch of hing (asafetida)
- 1 1/2 tsp red mirchi (cayenne)
- 1/4 tsp haldi
- 1 1/2 tsp adu marcha (see note)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs dhana jeeru (coriander:cumin powder)
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1/2 c of water
- 1/4 c freshly chopped cilantro
- 7 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt to taste
- Cook rice with 3 1/2 c of water.
- While rice is cooking, steam frozen peas according to package instructions in microwave.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds. When seeds start to sizzle add the two bay leaves.
- Add the curry leaves, red mirchi, haldi, adu marcha, and pinch of hing.
- Add the tomatoes and let cook until oil separates from tomatoes (about 5 - 7 minutes). The tomato smell should go away.
- Add salt to taste, dhana jeeru, and pav bhaji masala.
- Add 1 cup of the steamed peas and mix well.
- Add this tomato/pea mixture to your cooked rice. Stir until rice is evenly coated.
- In the meantime to make the Chaash: heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let roast for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry leaves and pinch of haldi.
- While the garlic and ginger are sautéing, add the water to the yogurt and blend til smooth (I use a hand blender).
- Once the garlic and ginger are cooked, pour this onto your yogurt, add the cilantro and mix. Serve chilled.
- Garnish the rice with fresh cilantro and serve with a small bowl of chaash!