SPINACH QUINOA PULAO
SPICY SPINACH [QUINOA] PULAO RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4-6)
- 1 1/2 c uncooked quinoa
- 4 c finely chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 vine ripened tomatoes (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbs dhana jeeru
- 1 1/2 tsp mirchi (cayenne pepper)
- 1/4 tsp pav bhaji masala
- minced green chilies to taste
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 3 c water
- 1/4 tsp haldi (ground tumeric)
- freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- lemon wedges for garnish
- In a large wok (I like this one!), heat the olive oil.
- Add the cumin seeds and let sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the diced onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tomato smell goes away.
- Add the finely chopped spinach and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach has reduced in size.
- Add the quinoa and 3 cups of water. Bring the water to a light boil and cook until quinoa is completely cooked (~8-12 minutes).
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and a wedge of lime.
NOTES to add more protein to this dish, we served it with FRESH RAITA
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup regular full fat yogurt
- tadka: heat 1 tbs olive oil, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp mirchi, pinch of haldi
- Add to yogurt and mix well.
- Salt to taste.