Does anyone else remember those delicious Viennetta ice cream cakes from the 90s?
When the HUBS and I were in Switzerland we saw them on the menu of a cafe that we were at so we ordered one. The HUBS had never had one before. Even after 15+ years, its still SO good. The flaky chocolate, impeccably light whipped ice cream and all the ripples. Yum-my!
And then a couple weeks ago I randomly came across this video on how the cakes are made:
I felt inspired to try creating mini personal sized versions of these with some minor modifications. I wanted to add a more substantial base layer. Now let me go ahead and say mine looks nothing like the real thing. I attempted using decorator's cones to create the ripples, but it was a fail, so instead I made them Jackson Pollick inspired haha. Gotta roll with the punches right?
MINI VIENNETTA CAKES RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6 MINI CAKES - 3 Heath & 3 Mint Oreo)
- 2/3 C vanilla ice cream
- 2/3 C cool whip
- 1/2 c melting chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- mint oreo truffles
- 4 honey graham crackers, blended to a powder
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 heath bar, crushed
- Melt the butter.
- Add 1/2 of the crushed health bar. Melt completely on LOW heat. Always use low heat when melting chocolate (otherwise it'll burn).
- Add the graham cracker and mix until it creates the base of the cakes. Divide evenly amongst the 3 molds.
- Blend the mint oreo truffles and divide evenly amongst the remaining 3 molds.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- While the bases are freezing, fold the ice cream and cool whip together. Set aside in the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate and add the vanilla extract.
- Remove bases in the mold from the freezer. Add a layer of ice cream/cool whip and then drizzle some chocolate. Repeat for one more layer. Garnish with crushed heath bar. Freeze until serving.