I'm not the biggest fan of trying new things (I know - shameful). I usually just have my bestie or HUBS try it and then if they like it then I will try it. So when one of my former bosses invited the lab over for a taco party without my guinea pigs and then fed me tempeh, I was well skeptical. But its so delicious! Its kinda nutty and tastes like savory brown rice? Its good. I promise! And it packs a [protein] punch with 16 g/serving. Yes please.
TEMPEH TACOS RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6-8 TACOS)
- 1 pack of tempeh
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- pack of slaw salad mix (cabbage & carrots)
- 1/2 onion (1/4 julienned, 1/4 diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 tbs sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 4 tbs olive oil
- salt to taste
- corn tortillas
- Heat 3 tbs of oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Add the garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Crumble in the tempeh and mix completely until even coat of oil.
- Continue to cook (stir constantly) until tempeh becomes golden brown.
- To make the cilantro lime slaw mix: 3 tbs of sour cream, juice of 1/2 lime, 1/4 c freshly chopped cilantro, 1/4 onion (julienned), half bag of salad slaw mix and salt to taste in a large bowl.
- To make the pico mix: 1/2 lime, the other 1/4 c of chopped cilantro, 1/4 onion (diced), and salt to taste in a small bowl.
- Finally to make the sriracha sauce: mix 3 tbs of sour cream, 1 tbs of olive oil, and 1 1/2 tsp of sriracha.
- To make each taco: ladle some tempeh, add some slaw, add some pico and garnish with sriracha sauce.