There are few states in the US that inspire the pride that being from Texas does - aside from the fact that we still believe we could and probably should still be our own nation, that our hospitality puts most of the world to shame, and the character that comes from our Friday night lights culture, we have the best freaking food in the world. We took something as stand alone amazing as Mexican food, and somehow made it EVEN better through the genius addition of CHEESE. I'll spare you and won't start the waxing poetic about the love story of Mexican food and cheese and how Texas brought them together to fulfill their destiny - just try the recipe. This recipe for tortilla soup will fill your tummy, your heart, your should...hell it even makes my eyes overflow.
KAVIE'S TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 10-12)
- 3 cans vegetable broth
- 1 frozen bag chopped bell peppers and onions
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can el pato sauce
- 3 tbs ground cumin
- 3 tbs taco seasoning
- 3 cans diced green chiles
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- cayenne pepper to taste (if you want it to spicier)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- Sour cream
- freshly chopped cilantro
- avocado (sliced)
- cheddar cheese (grated)
- Sauté the garlic in the oil.
- Add the cumin and taco seasoning, stirring until spiced become cooked & aromatic.
- Add the diced celery and cook until celery becomes somewhat transparent.
- Add the frozen onion and peppers. Sauté until cooked.
- Add the canned tomato
- Add the canned tomatoes, el pato sauce and mix.
- Add the corn, beans and green chilies. Mix well.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve!