PETRO (VEGETARIAN) CHILI
This recipe is based on a popular fast food chain in East Tennessee called PETRO'S that has become synonymous with "TN Chili". Much like our renowned BBQ, our chili is delish. Petro's always offered vegetarian options, which is why my family is incredibly partial to the chain, but one day they up and left Nashville so my mom and my best friend's mom recreated the dish! This chili is served on a bed of corn chips with toppings, is super easy to recreate and actually pretty nutritious!
"PETRO'S" VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPE
KITCHEN INSPIRED BY PETRO'S CHILI & CHIPS
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2-3)
- tomato (chopped finely)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- hot sauce of choice (I prefer taco bell hot sauce or el paso jalapeño sauce)
- sour cream (garnish)
- shredded mexican/cheddar cheese
- jalapeños (minced)
- 1 can of Bush's Chili Beans (Pinto Beans in a Mild Chili Sauce)
- Saute the garlic in some olive/vegetable oil.
- Add 1-2 tbs of the chopped spring onions (leave the rest for garnishing).
- Add the can of chili beans and cook til bubbling.
- In a bowl, put a handful of fritos.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese.
- Pour the hot beans on top.
- Add the chopped tomatos, spring onions, regular onions, jalapeños, a dollop of sour cream and hot sauce to taste and serve!
NOTE: some people prefer putting the fritos on top so they stay crunchy throughout!