Since we came back from India, the HUBS has been on me about adding more to our meals. He had gotten used to the five roti's, several shaaks, rice & daal, and tonsss of mitai for LUNCH kinda meals. And although I can't handle that much food for three meals a day, I am happy to try something new. Lately I have been obsessed with, scratch that, I am & have always obsessed with Mexican food, soooo naturally I tried a new Mexican dish. We recently were introduced to taquitos at Susan Feniger's Border Grill in Vegas. Sooooo delicious! So I figured, I'd try my hand at it.
'TATO TAQUITO RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (12 TAQUITOS)
- 4 large red potatoes (boiled & peeled)
- 1/2 yellow onion (1/4 julienned, 1/4 diced)
- 3/4 pack of pre-cut cabbage & carrot slaw
- 7 tbs of sour cream
- 1/2 green onions (minced)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro (chopped)
- 12 small (6") corn tortillas
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/3 c shredded mexican cheese
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Boil & peel the potatoes.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the 1/4 chopped onions & green onions. Sauté.
- Add in the potatoes and mash until all ingredients are blended.
- Add the cayenne pepper and fold in.
- Add the butter, cheese, salt to taste and 2 tbs of sour cream. Fold in until evenly mixed.
- In a mixing bowl add the slaw, remaining sour cream, juice of the lime, all of the freshly chopped cilantro, the julienned onions, and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with nonstick spray.
- Stuff each corn tortilla with a little bit of potato stuffing and place face down on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until crispy. May need to flip the taquitos half way through.
- Garnish with lime slaw + salsa and serve. Maybe even with Black Bean Chili!