Over the next two weeks I am going to post recipes, gift ideas and thoughtful DIYs to thank the amazing dad(s) in your life this father's day. Like many kids, I never appreciated my parents enough, but I have always been able to think of an amazing gift for my mom. The same can not be said for my dad. Somehow showing dads how much we love them for all they do for us is SO MUCH HARDER than showing moms. Man, its just so difficult. Half the time they return the items you buy for them not because they don't love it or wanted it, but because they don't want you to spend money on them. So then I figure gift them something they can't return. Food! And what dad doesn't like bourbon/whisky?? Try making these waffles for your father's day brunch!
BOURBON PEACH PROTEIN WAFFLES RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (8-10 SMALL WAFFLES)
- 3 ripe white peaches (finely chopped)
- juice & zest of a 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/3 c of bourbon/whisky of choice
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c of quinoa flour
- 1/4 c of almond flour
- 1/4 c of vital gluten flour
- 1/4 c of oat flour (finely blended dry oats)
- 3/4 c of whole white flour
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 1/2 c soy milk
- 3 tbs butter (room temp)
- 1/3 c of olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- Cook the finely chopped peaches with the lemon juice, zest, sugar, bourbon and a pinch of salt over low heat. Let this cook until reduced to a pie filling consistency (~20 min). Set aside.
- Sift the flours, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg using a sieve into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk two egg whites, until stiff peaks form. Add in the butter and peaches. Fold in well.
- In a measuring cup, mix the two egg yolks, soy milk and oil. Pour into egg white blend.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet 1 cup at a time.
- Cook in waffle maker (we like this one since it has easy to remove dishwasher safe plates!) and serve with fresh whipping cream + fruit OR maple syrup!
SIDE NOTE: the HUBS and I try making waffles more dense by adding flours that increase the protein content. Feel free to use regular all purpose flour instead - however be sure lower the milk & oil accordingly.