SPICY THAI CORN CHOWDER
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8)
- 3 sandwich tomatoes (blended)
- 3 tsp red mirchi (cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 lime (juice & zest)
- 1/2 lemon (juice & zest)
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 10-15 4" stems from cilantro bunch
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 3/4 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbs of minced garlic
- 2 tbs salted butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp adu marcha (blended thai chilies & ginger: 1 to 1 ratio)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 box of angel hair pasta (or rice noodles for GF)
- 1 1/2 c corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 bunch of radishes (finely chopped)
- 1/2 c of cilantro (finely chopped)
- Cook pasta according to box instructions and set aside.
- Over medium low heat, sauté garlic until golden brown in the oil and butter.
- Add red mirchi/cayenne pepper and toast for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add freshly ground pepper, adu marcha, tomato paste, and dried red chilies. Stir well.
- Add the blended tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, lime zest and lime juice. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cilantro stems and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the corn and cook until the corn is completely/thouroughly cooked (if using frozen corn then this will take about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the kaffir lime leaf and let cook until aromatic. Immediately remove kaffir lime leaf (about 30 seconds).
- To serve: spoon some noodles and then ladle some soup into a bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, diced radishes and a wedge of lime.