LEMON POPPY SEED WAFFLE RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (Makes 16 4"X4" waffles)
LEMON POPPY SEED WAFFLES
- 3/4 c oat flour
- 3/4 c whole white wheat flour
- 1/2 c vital gluten flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 packet of lemon jello
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 c club soda
- 1/2 c of [vanilla soy] milk
- heavy whipping cream for garnish
NOTE: You can also use Kodiak Protein Powercake Mix (Buttermilk) Flavor instead of the flours listed above. If using this method, whisk your egg until frothy. Add about 1/4 c sugar. Whisk again on high until stiff peaks form (meringue). Slowly add the milk/soda, seeds, & jello mix. Add in the flour last and mix well.
BLACKBERRY MINT SAUCE
- 1 box blackberries
- 3-4 large mint leaves
- 1/2 c sugar
- water to desired consistency
- Sift flours and poppy seeds together and set aside.
- In a electric mixer, cream the butter & sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time.
- Add the club soda and mix thoroughly. Mixture should resemble pancake/waffle batter at this point. If its too thick, add milk and mix until the desired consistency is achieved.
- To make the blackberry mint sauce: combine all ingredients and blend until saucy drizzle.
- In a waffle iron (we love this one because it has easy to remove dishwasher safe plates!), ladle waffle batter and cook until browned and crispy. Garnish with heavy whipping cream and blackberry mint sauce.
NOTES: you can substitute All-Purpose flour for the flours listed above (so 2 c total of AP Flour)!