CAJUN PRIMAVERA PASTA
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4-6)
- 1 16 oz pack of baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1 c lovely packed baby spinach
- 1 red bell pepper (julienned)
- 1 leek (diced)
- 1 large carrot (peeled)
- 1 yellow zucchini (grated)
- 4 tsp garlic (minced)
- 4 tsp olive oil
- chives (finely chopped for garnish)
- penne/bowtie/rigatoni pasta of choice
- 1/3 bottle of bertolli "olive oil & garlic" pasta sauce
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp mccormick's cajun seasoning
- Cook 1/2 box of pasta as per instructions on box.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté garlic until golden brown in a large nonstick pot.
- Add the chopped leeks and cook until translucent.
- Shred the carrot directly into the pot (using a peeler) and cook until tender.
- Grate the zucchini directly into the pot and cook until zucchini smell goes away.
- Add the red pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned and reduced in size.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the veggies from heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta sauce: Sauté the remaining two tsp of minced garlic over low heat until golden in the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil (use a saucepan or nonstick pot).
- Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cajun seasoning and let bubble until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Do not let the garlic or crushed red pepper burn!
- Add the cream and let simmer until it starts to lightly boil. Immediately add the bertolli sauce and stir until well blended.
- Mix the pasta with the veggies and sauce. Garnish with finely chopped chives before serving.