So the little brother and Phoenix fam came to visit us a couple weeks ago in our new home. First of all can I just say how blessed we are to have such wonderful friends?? We've been missing them so much since the move, so its nice to have a home full of familiar faces. The HUBS' little brother came to visit too. On our last day, I decided to make what Ram decided to call pineapple "crakes" (pancakes + crepes). This has become one of my go to brunch/breakfast staples when we have guests because they are super easy, without really sacrificing on flavor or nutrition. And they are inspired by one of our favorite Phoenix brunch spots, Snooze. If you are ever in PHX its a must try!
INSPIRED BY SNOOZE
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 10-15 SMALL CRAKES)
- 1 1/2 c flour (of choice)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c milk (of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c chopped canned pineapple (no sugar added)
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbs butter
NOTES: I used vanilla soy milk and quinoa, vital wheat, and whole white wheat flours. You can substitute these with regular milk and All-Purpose flour, respectively.
- Mix all ingredients until smooth (not lumpy). Add more milk if you need to until you reach normal pancake batter consistency.
- Heat a skillet, ladle some batter and allow to cook like normal pancakes.
- Garnish with some fresh fruit, whipped cream, and a dusting of nutmeg and powdered sugar. Enjoy!