FLATIRON MAC + CHEESE
Theres a little place tucked in the heart of the Flatiron district of NYC called the Flatiron Room. Anyone and everyone who knows me, knows how much I absolutely love this place. Its even on my list of MUST DO's in NYC. Growing up with 90's sitcoms, I always wanted to have a place of my own to go to after a long day at work. Enter the Flatiron Room. Between being a speakeasy that doubles as a live jazz lounge, the glowing bar, and phenomenal eats - you seriously can't go wrong here. Oh also, they specialize in whiskies + bourbons, so obviously this little southern lady was sold.
I made a point to frequent the FR while I was there as much as possible. Every week I would go, order one Forever Young, one margherita flatbread and the flatiron macaroni & cheese. I have eaten plenty of this dish in my life and again I don't like to relinquish the title of best-I've-ever-had to just anyone or anything, BUT this is the one y'all. It made me like sweet + spicy brussel sprouts, is baked with chiles (umm yes please!) and even has dates in it. Yes you read right - dates.
Although I can't completely recreate the experience of eating this dish in NYC, I did finally after several attempts, recreate this recipe. Simply put - this dish is just delish.
FLATIRON MAC 'N CHEESE
INSPIRED BY CHEF SUSAN BURDAIN (FLATIRON ROOM)
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6)
- 1 tsp shallot (minced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tsp halved calabrian chiles
- 1 minced date
- 2 tbs butter (salted)
- 1 c heavy cream
- pre-roasted brussel sprouts
- 2 onces shredded gouda cheese
- 1 pint cooked radiatore pasta
- 2 tbs hot sauce of choice (we LOVE this one)
- bread crumbs (optional)
- grated parmesan
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp honey
- salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Chop off the bottoms of the brussel sprouts and pull apart the leaves.
- In a ziplock bag, add 1 tbs of olive oil, the sriracha, honey and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add the brussel sprout leaves and seal well. Shake until all the leaves are evenly coated.
- Bake (aluminum foil and grease the pan) for 7-10 minutes or until crisp but not burned.
- While the brussel sprouts are cooking, boil some water and prepare your pasta. Set aside when done.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the minced garlic, shallots, dates, and chiles. Saute until shallots are translucent and garlic is golden. Stir frequently.
- Add the cream, gouda, and 1 tbs of grated parmesan. Stir frequently until cheese has thoroughly melted and cream has thickened.
- Add hot sauce and mix well. Add pasta and stir thoroughly.
- Place mac 'n cheese in an oven-safe dish with the roasted brussel sprouts and some parmesan on top. Bake until parmesan is browned 7-10 minutes.