A couple years ago, I was eating at this quaint little Spanish restaurant in downtown Decatur (Atlanta) called the Iberian Pig. I was hosting my favorite college friends for a reunion and we were eating there for dinner. Although not seemingly vegetarian friendly, the staff modified several of dishes so that I could share alongside my friends, including one amazing ravioli dish smothered in a pistachio cream sauce. The sauce left such a lasting impression on me that I went on to try recreating it for the HUBS. Its now one of our favorite (super easy) recipes!
PISTACHIO CREAM SAUCE RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4 - 6)
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 30 - 40 pistachios (unsalted)
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 c whole milk
- 1/2 c grated parmesan
- handful of fresh spinach (for color/optional)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt to taste
- In a nonstick saucepan, melt the butter over medium - low heat
- Add the olive oil and minced garlic. Sauté until golden.
- Add the crushed red pepper and sauté until aromatic.
- Remove shells from pistachios, then add pistachios to saucepan. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add cream & milk. Bring to a light simmer. Stir frequently to prevent the milk from burning.
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool. Blend (with spinach) until smooth and then return to pan.
- Add the parmesan and stir until smooth.
- Serve with al dente spaghetti and veggies of choice (we love eating this sauce with sauted asparagus, mushrooms, onions, garlic and spinach)!