BLACK BEAN SOUP
I LOVE it when my meat eating friends want to try to being vegetarians for a day. But one question I always get is: doesn't it get boring?? Ummm, no. The amazing thing about being American, is that we are introduced to so many cuisines that are then fused and fueled into new recipes. Meatless monday is a such a wonderful exercise and although I am a vegetarian, I would like to share some recipes that are quick, tasty and hearty substitutes for a meaty meal.
Today I want to share with you a fall favorite & staple: Black Bean Soup. Its full of rich chunky tomatoes, spicy jalapeños, zesty lime and earthy cumin. I LOVE IT. Its so simple, super delicious and definitely perfect for autumn. Plus it gets bonus points for being a good source of protein & iron!
BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPE
KITCHEN CHARISMA SHAH
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- jalapeno to comfort level (minced)
- 1 tsp cumin (ground)
- 1 tsp hot chili seasoning
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 can of El Pato jalapeño salsa (green can)
- 1 can of Hot Rotel (use regular Rotel for less spice)
- 1 can of Mexican Lime Rotel
- 3 cans of black beans (do not drain!)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until golden.
- Add the cumin, chili seasoning, and taco seasoning and cook for about a minute or until bubbling (but not burnt!!)
- Add the El Pato and cook till simmer (2 - 3 minutes)
- Add the two Rotel and bring to a simmer
- Add the cans of Black Beans and bring to a boil (5-7 min)
- Garnish with some zesty pico de gallo, fresh cilantro and creamy sour cream/cheese & serve.
Pico de Gallo is simply chopped tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro. Add lime juice and salt to taste.