URAD - TOOR DAAL
I come from a long line of vegetarians. In fact, my grandparents are Jain vegetarian, so they don't eat anything that grows under the ground including garlic, potatoes, onions, radishes, carrots, etc. Although I choose not to practice this form of vegetarianism, my heritage has shared with me some delicious jain-friendly recipes, including this one. This is my dadi's (paternal grandmother) recipe. So coming to you from a quaint little flat in Mumbai, I bring you grandma's lentil soup aka Urad-Toor Dal. Its protein packed & perfect for cooler evenings. Enjoy!
URAD-TOOR DAAL RECIPE
(INDIAN URAD + TOOR LENTIL SOUP)
KITCHEN DADI (grandmother)
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4-6)
- 3 medium tomatoes (blended)
- 1 c toor dal
- 1/2 c urad dal
- 2 tbs olive/canola oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 12-15 curry fresh/frozen leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 2/3 c water
- 1 1/2 tsp adu marcha (see here)
- 1/2 tsp haldi (tumeric powder)
- 2 tsp red mirchi (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- 3 heaping tsp methi masala powder/shan achar pickle powder
- 2 heaping tsp dhana jeeru (cumin & corriander powder)
- freshly chopped cilantro
- lemon juice to taste
- wash both the toor & urad dal until water runs clear
- cook dals in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water for about 15-20 minutes (dals should be mashable by hand but not completely blended when done)
- transfer to another pot and add the blended tomato
- in a separate container you will make your "tadka". heat the oil over medium heat. add the cumin seeds and toast for about 30 seconds.
- immediately add the curry leaves, asafetida, turmeric, cayenne/mirchi, methi masala/pickle seasoning, and pav bhaji masala.
- add this "tadka" mixture to your cooked dal. add your dhana jeera, lemon juice & salt to taste.
- stir & cook the dal over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- add some freshly chopped cilantro and serve over basmati/brown rice.