Some might not know but the HUBS is an excellent cook. In fact, one of my favorite memories from when we first started dating was the first time he cooked for me. It was a first week of dating and refused to let me do anything. It was so romantic and sweet! He literally did everything - prepped, cooked, and cleaned up. I was so impressed. Turns out the HUBS was and is a great cook!
Over the past few years, he's really started exploring and delving beyond his heirloom recipes, or simply adapting them to be healthier. This recipe was adapted from his moms "dalia" recipe which was an assorted porridge with lentils, grains & milk. The HUBS adjusted this recipe to include super seeds like chia & hemp hearts. Its seriously delicious and its vegan, vegetarian, refined sugar-free, vegetarian, and gluten-free!
VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE
KITCHEN THE HUBS
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 1/2 c steel-cut oats
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 1/4 c hemp hearts
- 5 cups of water
- 1 packet of instant chai
- dash of cinnamon
- blueberries, dates, pumpkin seeds, pepitas, bananas, honey (garnishes)
- vegan milk
- Lightly roast the grains & seeds in a pan until fragrant (light roasted smell)
- Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes or until grains are fully cooked.
- Add the chai packet & cinnamon. Stir well.
- Garnish with honey, dates, fruits and seeds. Enjoy!